Thursday, October 2, 2014

How it all started

In February 2013, I was on a study trip to Hong Kong with my boyfriend. We wanted to study urbanism there, but soon got caught into the vibrant and exciting life of that city and started exploring it on our own, without trying to understand it but rather trying to merge with it. We had some amazing experiences, and in three busy weeks we really went absolutely everywhere in and around town. 

We had tons of delicious dim sum, from street kiosks to upper class restaurants, and took ferries to the Outlying Islands. But what stroked me the most was the designer scene. I was already in love with kawaii style and urban vinyl, but Hong Kong was a deeper experience, an experience where I could observe lots of creations, and become inspired to create my own style.


Once back to The Netherlands, where I live, I started studying the steampunk current and dived into its aesthetics. Creating Steamy Chums came very naturally to me, from the start I knew I wanted to make cute puppies, cubs, all kinds of baby animals. I love anatomy too, so it was important for me to keep a realistic eye on their features. Then, I combined this idea with the steampunk imaginarium, transforming those pets into machines. 


The story behind them is simple but powerful: what would we do if animals went extinct? It is a provocative take on the post-apocalyptic scenario of a (mankind-driven?) catastrophe that wipes away all Life but a handful of survivors. In my story, these survivors group in Camps and use findings like books and drawings to rebuild Life as it was, the whole spectrum of the animal world.


I created the brand Steamy Chums together with my boyfriend, who is a genius of production, prototyping and logistics. After creating two figures, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the project, and we were successful. Now, our Story really begins.


Here is the link to our Kickstarter. Watch the video, it narrates the Story behind our toys.


A Story of Resilience, Inventiveness, Friendship, and Hope.


Click here to go to Steamy Chums' Kickstarter page :)








4 comments:

  1. One day there will be movies and animated series about your creations, and I am happy that I helped back your dream .
    I look forward to seeing how this story unfolds... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that you are here believing in this dream with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree. I've helped with a number of Kickstarter ideas and this is the one I'm enjoying the most. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete